This really is the best-ever sweet potato casserole recipe, and you won’t want to go back to making your holiday potatoes any other way.
We’ve been making them this way for years, so I had to dig back through my recipes to find the origin and how long it’s really been. Turns out, I got the recipe from a Pfaltzgraff Colletor’s cookbook (© 1990). The reason it made it into the cookbook – because it makes the best ever of course! And we’ve been making the recipe for over 30 years.
This casserole doesn’t use miniature marshmallows so it’s not as sweet as some. But, it’s still more like getting to eat dessert than vegetables!
The recipe turned our unappreciated, obligatory sweet potato casserole into a dish that gets requested yearly (it’s a must for Thanksgiving dinner).
It’s both easy and delicious! And we usually make it again at Christmas, since everyone just seems to love it.
How To Make Best Ever Sweet Potatoes
All it takes to make the recipe is to mix the casserole ingredients (potatoes, sugar, eggs, evaporated milk, and vanilla) and spread the mixture into a casserole dish.
Then mix together the topping ingredients (butter, flour, brown sugar, and nuts), sprinkle over the potato mixture, and bake in a 350°F oven.
Note: The recipe calls for sweet potatoes (not yams) and that’s what you’ll typically find in grocery stores in the United States. You can check out the difference between them HERE.
Although sweet potatoes are a healthy vegetable and we love this recipe, we usually reserve it for the holidays because of the high sugar/calorie content. For another delicious, healthy sweet potato recipe, try Sweet Potato Sausage Soup.
Best Ever Sweet Potatoes
- Ovenproof casserole dish (casserole does get bubbly so make sure casserole sides are high enough to prevent boilovers).
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (not yams)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 3/4 cup melted butter (no salt)
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (we like pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine potatoes, sugar, eggs, 1/4 cup butter, milk, and vanilla.
- Mix well and spread the mixture in the casserole dish.
- Combine remaining butter, flour, brown sugar, and nuts.
- Sprinkle over sweet potato mixture and bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes.
I’ve tried literally millions of casserole recipes and this was the best I have ever had! Super delicious and not too sweet! I was already requested to make it again!
These really are the Best Ever!