This tuna stuffed avocado recipe is a great way to start the New Year! That’s because it’s delicious, makes a healthy meal, is light in calories, and it’s the time of year that avocados go on sale in the stores.
What better way to start the New Year than with delicious, healthy, fewer calories, and saving money too?
Plus, avocados are a bit of a treat for us – they’d never grow in Northeast Ohio so we buy them when they’re on sale. That means that I’m usually freezing them (see how HERE) but that only works for recipes like guacamole where the avocado doesn’t need to hold its shape. After freezing, avocados don’t really work well for this recipe.
This is a tasty way to use avocados fresh, and it’s quite healthy. The tuna contributes beneficial proteins and fats while the avocado also contributes beneficial fats (see HERE to learn all about avocados).
How To Make Tuna Stuffed Avocados
All it takes to make this recipe are avocados, tuna, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime juice, cherry tomatoes, red onion, salt, and pepper.
It’s important to use good tuna in this recipe and we prefer tuna that’s been packed in good olive oil rather than the more common tuna packed in water. We like a line-caught variety of tuna from Italy that also goes on sale yearly, so I stock up on tuna then too.
In the directions below, the serving size is one-half an avocado per person, and that’s typically what we do when using it as a side salad. For a nice lunch, I love eating a whole stuffed avocado all by myself!
Tuna Stuffed Avocado
- 3 avocados, halved and pitted
- 2 cans chunk light tuna in olive oil, drained
- 1 tbsp jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 6 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- freshly ground salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place the tuna, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and salt & pepper into a mixing bowl. Stir together until well mixed.
- Scoop the tuna mixture into the avocado halves, top with tomato and onion. Refrigerate immediately and serve chilled.