This turkey lasagna has become a favorite lasagna that’s a little lighter and easier – because it uses turkey and the noodles aren’t pre-cooked.
Initially, I think it was the fact that the noodles didn’t need to be cooked ahead that made me try this recipe. But after making it so many times, it’s really the great consistency and flavor that keeps bringing me back!
Another great feature is that the recipe can be made ahead, refrigerated, and then baked just before dinner; so it makes a nice dish to bring along.
Anyway, I find myself returning to this recipe again and again. And, if you’ve got Italian sausage instead of Italian turkey sausage, you can substitute that for the turkey and it turns out great too.
This turkey lasagna recipe is adapted from a recipe in Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten.
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage casings removed
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces creamy goat cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella sliced thin
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Add the onion and sausage to a large skillet and cook over medium-low heat (stirring to break up), until no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of parsley, the basil, one teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened.
- While the sauce is simmering, fill a large bowl with very hot tap water, add the noodles, and allow to sit for 2o minutes. Drain the noodles before using. Combine the ricotta, goat cheese, 1 cup Parmesan, the egg, remaining parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- To assemble, ladle 1/3 of the sauce in the bottom of a 9 x12 rectangular baking dish. Spread the sauce out over the bottom of the dish and then layer 1/2 the pasta, 1/2 the mozzarella, 1/2 the ricotta, and 1/3 of the sauce. Repeat the layer with the remaining pasta, mozzarella, ricotta, and sauce. Sprinkle the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on the top, and bake for 30 minutes.
If making this dish ahead, assemble the lasagna, refrigerate, and then bake for 4o minutes or until heated through and bubbly.