Ultimate “Cheater” Pulled Pork is the easiest, but greatest-tasting pulled pork recipe we’ve ever found. It’s always a hit and is awesome for parties!
I first heard about this recipe on The Splendid Table where it was reprinted from Cheater BBQ: Barbecue Anytime, Anywhere, In Any Weather by Mindy Merrell and R. B. Quinn. It’s unbelievable how good it is – given how easy it is!
Basically, you just take the ingredients, put them into a slow cooker, and cook until tender. What you end up with tastes like you slaved over a grill for hours. We’ve made it so often that we can’t remember how many times – it’s always a hit. And no one ever guesses how easy it really is! For more tips on how to achieve great pulled pork, check out 12 Tips for Cooking Pulled Pork (PERFECTLY Juicy Every Time).
We like to serve Ultimate Cheater Pulled Pork with coleslaw. Some folks like coleslaw on their pulled pork sandwich, while others like it on the side. Hillbilly Beans is another dish that always seems to work well alongside the pulled pork and is always a hit with a crowd too!
Ultimate Cheater Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker
- FOR THE PULLED PORK
- 5 - 6 pound boneless Boston butt pork roast
- 1/4 cup Cheater Basic Dry Rub (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup bottled liquid smoke
- FOR THE CHEATER BASIC DRY RUB
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- FOR THE PULLED PORKCut the pork butt into medium (2 to 3 inch) chunksPut the pieces in a large slow cooker. Sprinkle the meat with the rub, turning the pieces to coat evenly. Add the bottled liquid smoke.Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 10 to 12 hours, until the meat is pull-apart tender and reaches an internal temperature of 190 F.Using tongs and a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a platter or baking sheet. Let rest until cool enough to handle. Pull the meat into strands (it should shred easily). Serve the barbecue piled on buns with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- FOR THE DRY RUBCombine all the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to blend.