Ultimate Cheater Pulled Pork is the easiest, but greatest-tasting pulled pork recipe we’ve ever found. It’s always a hit and is awesome for parties!
I first heard about this recipe on The Splendid Table where it was reprinted from Cheater BBQ: Barbecue Anytime, Anywhere, In Any Weather by Mindy Merrell and R. B. Quinn. It’s unbelievable how good it is – given how easy it is!
We like to serve it with coleslaw, some folks like coleslaw on their pulled pork sandwich, while others like it on the side. Hillbilly Beans is another dish that always seems to work well alongside the pulled pork and is always a hit with a crowd too!
Ultimate Cheater Pulled Pork
- FOR THE PULLED PORK
- 5 - 6 pound boneless Boston butt pork roast
- 1/4 cup Cheater Basic Dry Rub (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup bottled liquid smoke
- FOR THE CHEATER BASIC DRY RUB
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- FOR THE PULLED PORKCut the pork butt into medium (2 to 3 inch) chunksPut the pieces in a large slow cooker. Sprinkle the meat with the rub, turning the pieces to coat evenly. Add the bottled liquid smoke.Cover and cook on high for 5 to 6 hours or on low for 10 to 12 hours, until the meat is pull-apart tender and reaches an internal temperature of 190 F.Using tongs and a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a platter or baking sheet. Let rest until cool enough to handle. Pull the meat into strands (it should shred easily). Serve the barbecue piled on buns with your favorite barbecue sauce.
- FOR THE DRY RUBCombine all the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Shake to blend.