We’ve been making this mustard for years; and when the current batch is gone, it’s not long before someone’s whipping up another one – it’s that terrific and that easy.
Supermarket varieties seem insipid and expensive compared to this. It also makes a great gift for friends and family; everyone seems to love receiving it.
We’ve been making it for so long though, I had no idea where the original recipe came from – fortunately, I recorded it in the recipe!
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup mustard powder (mild or hot)
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed (yellow or brown - we like brown)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon drained prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender of food processor, and blend at high until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
- Transfer to a small, clean jar, cover tightly and refrigerate.
- Yields approximately 3/4 cup.
The mustard can be used immediately and keeps for up to a year in the refrigerator.
The recipe can be doubled or quadrupled.
Adapted from Good Food Gourmet