Taylor-Made Homestead decided to take on the BRILLIANT reader-suggested task of compiling a list of homesteading / Simple Living blogs based on where the blogger resides. The reader suggested that since cooking directions can change based on altitude and gardening plans can differ based on planting zone, such a listing would be beneficial for blog readers.
Below you’ll find that updated list (updated to remove blogs that no longer appeared to be posting and add some terrific new homesteading blogs!) of awesome blogs separated by U.S. location and there’s even a spot for some great blogs from our Canadian friends!
All the blogs that were included in the list were asked to share it on their blogs as well – so here it is on Better Hens and Gardens!
The list is separated by U.S. states below and is in alphabetical order. C’mon y’all, check it out and show some love to some awesome blogs!
Sled Dog Slow – South Central Alaska
- https://www.sleddogslow.com/ – A family of 4 working on their homesteading dream on 5.5 acres off the grid and off-road in Alaska.
Making Our Sustainable Life – Northern California, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
- http://makingoursustainablelife.com/ – Setting up a sustainable (as much as we can) homestead as we retire here in Northern California, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
Brown Thumb Mama – Northern California
- https://brownthumbmama.com – Brown Thumb Mama makes natural living easy. Whether you need simple recipes, gardening tips, sustainability ideas, or herbal remedies–there’s something here for you.
Willow Creek Farm – Rocky Mountains of Colorado
- https://willowcreekfarm.wordpress.com/ – We are a small, backyard homestead located in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Topics include high-altitude homesteading; raising sheep for wool, meat, and milk; chickens for meat and eggs; rabbits for wool and meat; dairy cows; multi-purpose backyard farm collies; growing, harvesting, and preserving fruits and vegetables; hunting and foraging in the Rockies; and more.
Homestead Wishing – North Florida
- https://homesteadwishing.com/ – We post about recipes, chickens, gardening, homeschooling, prepping and more!
15 Acre Homestead – Central Florida
- https://15acrehomestead.com/ – A homestead blog about the challenges and solutions to all things homesteading with an extra emphasis on getting started homesteading.
The Green Acre Homestead – West Central Florida
- https://www.thegreenacrehomestead.com – The Green Acre Homestead is my little slice of homestead heaven located in Homosassa Springs, Florida. Made up of 1.25-acres, I blog about raising happy & humane meat, growing gardens and fruit trees, and practicing intentional living. I invite you to slow down with me.
Countin The Days – Georgia
- http://www.countintheday.blogspot.com – We moved to the country once my husband retired (I was already retired) and my blog is about that transition.
Mountain Top Spice – Northern Idaho
- http://mountaintopspice.blogspot.com/ – I garden, have chickens, and simple living is how we live, having downsized this past summer from a 2000+ home to an 800 sq foot home.
Healing Harvest Homestead – Idaho
- Heidi at Healing Harvest Homestead raises poultry and goats, gardens, and teaches people to create their own medicines using herbs. At www.healingharvesthomestead.com you can learn all about traditional living skills and be inspired and encouraged to homestead anywhere you happen to live!
Homegrown Self Reliance – Idaho
- https://www.homegrownselfreliance.com – We focus on growing our own food so we can be as self-reliant as possible. We enjoy teaching people to be self-reliant and prepared for anything, through homesteading!
Project Zenstead – Southwest Idaho
- http://projectzenstead.com – We share our experiences and tips as we strive to create a homestead that sustains ourselves and our earth – all on under an acre of land!
The Self Sufficient HomeAcre – Illinois
- http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/ – Lisa Lombardo homesteads on one acre and is working to be more self-reliant. Information for self-sufficiency, green living, and homesteading on any size property!
- http://www.littlebigharvest.com – Andrea at Little Big Harvest strives to garden, forage, cook and ferment on a little plot in the city. I love spreading the word about age-old practices and making them new, exciting and feasible for everyone.
- https://www.livinglifeinruraliowa.com– For this blog, I have four main areas I like to cover: frugal living/saving money, prepping, homesteading, and self-sufficiency.
Accidental Hippies – Kentucky
- https://accidentalhippies.com A blog about a family who built an off-grid cordwood house after years spent in the suburbs. Learn all about how to live more naturally and how to literally build the life you want from the ground up!
The Farm Wife – NW Louisiana
- https://www.thefarmwife.com/ – The Farm Wife shares thoughts and ideas on growing and preserving as much food as we can grow; teaching your children; mentorship; and all things geared toward living as simple a life as possible. On the site you will find recipes, DIYs, and more to help you escape the rat race and enjoy the life you are living!
- http://featherandscalefarm.com – A homesteading blog about raising goats, chickens and more on a 5 acres farm in Maine.
- http://www.fresheggsdaily.com – Helping you raise the flock of your dreams, helping you live the life of your dreams!
The Cape Coop – Coastal Massachusetts
- https://www.thecapecoop.com – Small suburban farm on 1/2 acre raising chickens, ducks, rabbits, and a huge garden & orchard.
Kombucha & Kale – Missouri
- www.kombuchandkale.com – Simple, Holistic Ways to a Vibrant You! Join me on my homestead as I learn the ins and outs of self-sufficiency, sustainability, and simple living! I love natural remedies, simple, delicious recipes, gardening, preserving a d fermenting food! (Missouri)
Homesteadyish – Southwest Missouri
- www.homesteadyish.com – A homesteading blog with a big focus on growing our own food and preserving it.
- https://thefrugalchicken.com/ – the website is devoted to teaching readers how to raise backyard chickens, ducks, and quail for eggs. You’ll also find seasonal articles about raising vegetables and herbs for their health benefits.
Homestead In The Holler – Missouri Ozarks
- www.homesteadintheholler.com – A family of 5 breathing life into an old farm and building a straw insulated house using permaculture principles.
- https://www.unexplainedunderfootobjects.com – I write about being off-grid with a blended family, moving through the year and doing what we can the best way we know how:)
- SoulyRested.com — A blog about one family’s move from suburbia to a rural 14-acre New England homestead complete with a 200-year-old farmhouse, an apiary, farm animals, a giant vegetable garden, and a sugarbush. Learn how to make and bake with maple syrup and all the mistakes made and lessons learned on their new homestead.
The Messy Organic Mum – Upstate New York
- http://www.themessyorganicmum.com/ – Our site covers a range of topics including homesteading and living an organic lifestyle. Or recipes are sugar-free and use ingredients that are unprocessed.
The Frugal Farm Girl – Upstate New York
- http://www.thefrugalfarmgirl.com -The purpose of my blog is encouraging others to take one step at a time to achieve a more simple life.
- https://www.musingsofamodernhippie.com – Adding a Modern Flair to Vintage Unconventionality. Organic gardening, real food recipes, natural wellness, eco-beauty, and DIY home tips.
Maple Hill 101 – Central North Carolina
- http://mymaplehillfarm.blogspot.com/ – We were suburban homesteaders that have moved to a more rural landscape where we continue to homeschool, make our own bread, scratch cook, repurpose everything we can, and live a pragmatic and simple life.
Live The Old Way – North Carolina
- http://livetheoldway.com/ A small family living in an underground passive solar house. Using old-time skills, growing our own food and raising our own meat.
Better Hens and Gardens – Northeast Ohio
- http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/ – A blog about chickens, gardens, goats, honey bees and DIY. We’re on 10 acres, are trying to do things all naturally, and I occasionally consider getting organic certification.
Oak Hill Homestead – Central Oklahoma
- http://www.oakhillhomestead.com/ – I strive to inspire and encourage you to live a simple, joyful life, no matter your circumstances or where you live.
- http://www.survivalfinds.com – Homesteading in the country while practicing self-reliance & self-sufficiency with a preparedness mindset.
The Locust Blossom – Mountains of NE Oregon
- http://thelocustblossom.blogspot.com/ – Producing &/or sourcing most of our food locally, while being good stewards of the land and producing as little waste as possible. Our goal is to make this look aesthetically pleasing as well.
Feathers In The Woods – Western Pennsylvania
- http://www.feathersinthewoods.com/ – Blog topics are mostly farm lifestyle, gardening and natural living (herbs, EOs, food as medicine, etc)
- www.oneashhomestead.com – sharing how we homestead, one life experience at a time.
My Homestead Life – Smoky Mountains Tennessee
- http://www.myhomesteadlife.com – From homesteading to living off the grid, we help guide and inspire others who want to live a simpler life and strive to be self-sufficient.
Farminence – West Tennessee
- http://www.farminence.com – I write about gardening, raising livestock and the occasional recipe or canning post.
Hidden Springs Homestead – SE Tennessee
- https://www.hiddenspringshomestead.com/ – A blog about creating a more simple life through growing our own food, canning and preserving, homesteading, crafting, sewing and DIY. “Building a Better Life Thru Self-Sufficiency”
Taylor-Made Homestead – Northeast Texas
- http://taylormadehomestead.com/ – I share a glimpse into daily life on a NE Texas ranch whether it’s spending time in the garden, canning that excess produce or puttering in the kitchen whipping up simple yet delicious meals.
Pickle Creek Ranch Northeast Texas located in Fannin County
- http://www.picklecreekranch.com/index.html – Post topics include the ranch and activities there, such as catching rainwater to sustain water needs. Other articles include cooking, gardening and do it yourself projects. Usually my posts will reveal ways to use essential oils in a practical manner.
Pasture Deficit Disorder – Austin, Texas
- http://www.pasturedeficitdisorder.com – Writing, blogging and photographing life on a Texas homestead. We are learning to build, grow, cook and preserve as much for ourselves as we can.
Faithful Homesteader – North Texas
- https://faithfulhomesteader.wordpress.com/ – I write about chickens, healthy living, and things like gardening and working to be more self-sufficient.
- https://www.happyhivevt.com/ – Sharing our adventures in homesteading life – from gardening tips, recipes, and reviews to the joys and challenges of being part-time homesteaders. Inspired by our bees, we hope to find the intersection of what’s good for us, and good for the world.
- https://practicalselfreliance.com/– A small family striving to be as self-reliant as possible through foraging, gardening, herbalism, food preservation, and simple living. We live on 30 acres of rural woodlot and power our small homestead with solar and wind.
Practicing Resurrection – Southern Virginia
- https://practicingresurrection.wordpress.com/ – A diversified sustainable family farm in southern Virginia. I don’t know how to describe my blog. It’s sort of a farm journal, except when it isn’t. ?
- https://ourinspiredroots.com/ – A blog focused on helping you achieve better health by growing food and medicine.
The Reid Homestead – Near Seattle
- https://thereidhomestead.com – A homesteading and gardening blog focused on teaching how to grow, harvest and preserve food in hopes that your family can be more self-sufficient. Utilizing organic growing methods including no-till and Back to Eden (gardening with wood chips).
Common Sense Homesteading – Northeast Wisconsin
- http://commonsensehome.com/ – Posts about using sound judgment to be more self-reliant. It means doing what you can, where you are, with what you have. We’ll cover topics such as: Gardening, Food Storage, Recipes and much more
Growing Wild Roots – Southern BC (just a few minutes north of northern Idaho)
- http://www.growingwildroots.com/ – I’ll be sharing more preserving, gardening, cooking, and farm-family raising.
Powell River Books – Coastal BC
- http://powellriverbooks.blogspot.com/ – We live in an off-the-grid float cabin on a lake in Coastal BC. I blog about gardening, cooking, exploring the backcountry, and everyday living in this unique environment.
Around The Fire Pit – Canada, Manitoba
- http://www.aroundthefirepit.com/ – I am a city girl from The Netherlands who has been living in Canada for 30 years now. I love to garden and I also am an enthusiastic crafter and share my projects on my blog.
Just Another Day On The Farm – Ontario, Canada
- https://livingmydreamlifeonthefarm.wordpress.com/ – My blog is filled with critters, recipes, gardening, and putting up. It follows the seasons in regards to the ebb and flow of a busy active farm.
So what do you think? It’s a list of great blogs and being broken down by region is a great resource, no??