Nigerian Dwarf Goats 201: Getting Started (How To Choose, Prepare & Care For Your First Goats) is now For Sale! ($6.99). The book is available from this site as a pdf download, or it is available for ebook readers from Amazon.
This is the second ebook in a series of four on Nigerian Dwarf goats and it tells you what you need to know to get started with the breed.
My history with these little goats began in 2005 when my partner and I finally left suburbia and moved onto 10 wooded acres. After much research, it seemed that Nigerian Dwarf goats would be perfect for the property and for supplying us with natural, wholesome milk.
I was fortunate to learn about goats from experienced Nigerian Dwarf goat mentors, and although there have been many lessons, the Bramblestone herd has thrived. I’ve never regretted choosing Nigerian Dwarf goats for our farm, but there hasn’t been much written on the specifics of how to get started and succeed with these smaller dairy goats. I’ve often struggled to find answers about them, and have been frustrated in the inaccurate information that I see concerning their care.
So, this series of books on Nigerian Dwarf goats is intended to help goat owners at various stages of knowledge find reliable answers to their questions.
The information is presented in several smaller books so that folks can purchase only the portion applicable to their needs. For example, if you just wanted them as pets, then you wouldn’t need all four books – reading the first two in the series would give you the information necessary. But, if you later started breeding or showing them, then you could purchase additional books to cover those topics.
Nigerian Dwarf Goats 201 is the second book in the series of four on the breed and it describes the decisions to consider when choosing your first goats, how to select good goats, how to prepare for them, and the basics of how to care for your first Nigerian Dwarf goats. It also includes appendices with a downloadable goat health record form, downloadable shopping lists, and a glossary of common goat definitions.
In this second book you’ll learn:
- How to find and choose the best goats (and the right number) for your individual situation
- How to prepare for housing and feeding the as well as the supplies you’ll need
- What’s needed for daily routine care and how to do it
- What’s needed for basic goat health care and how to care for them
Here’s the Table of Contents:
- 1.0 Choosing Your First Goats
- 1.1 Does or Wethers
- 1.2 Registered or Unregistered
- 1.2.1 Understanding Goat Pedigrees
- 1.3 Horned, Polled or Disbudded
- 1.4 Bottle or Dam Raised Kids
- 1.5 Hand or Machine Milking
- 1.6 Wethers & Urinary Calculi
- 1.7 Selecting Good Goats
- 1.7.1 Attend Local Goat Shows
- 1.7.2 Visit Nigerian Dwarf Breeders
- 1.7.3 Reserve or Choose Your Goats
- 2.0 Preparing Their Home
- 2.1 Housing
- 2.1.1 Shelter
- 2.1.2 Shelter Amenities
- 2.2 Outdoor Containment
- 2.3 Forage – Browse & Pasture
- 2.4 Basic Supplies
- 3.0 Routine Goat Care
- 3.1 Daily Observation
- 3.2 Daily Feeding
- 3.3 Goat Nutrition
- 3.4 Hoof Trimming
- 3.5 Clipping
- 4.0 Basic Goat Health Care
- 4.1 Health Care Equipment & Supplies
- 4.1.1 Health Care Equipment
- 4.1.2 Health Care Supplies
- 4.2 Administering Injectables
- 4.2.1 Medications
- 4.3 Internal Parasites
- 4.3.1 Types of Internal Parasites
- 4.3.2 Detecting & Treating Internal Parasites
- 4.3.3 Strategies for Internal Parasite Control
- 4.4 External Parasites
- 4.5 Supplements & Annual Vaccinations
- 4.6 Fatal Goat Diseases
- Goat Definitions
- On-Line Resources
- Downloadable Health Record Form
- Downloadable Shopping Lists
My hope is that with this series of books, even more Nigerian Dwarf goats become successful homestead additions. The second book is now available from the website (click here) for $6.99.
freda tucker says
looks useful. I love my goats
Lisa L Lombardo says
This looks like a great resource, Lesa!
Thanks Lisa, I hope folks find it useful!