It can be varied infinitely and there are many versions out there – we use Stephanie’s version.
I find that this dish works in almost any situation or season, it always disappears!
Whether it’s a main dish or a side I’m not sure, but I guess it doesn’t matter since it’s so popular!
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 cans kidney beans (drained)
- 2 cans pork and beans
- 1 can lima beans (drained)
- 1 can butter beans (drained)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- In a large oven-proof casserole, cut the bacon into 1" pieces, fry until crisp, remove the bacon from the pan, and remove grease.
- Brown the ground beef and onion in the pan, and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix well, and bake in a 300 F degree oven for one hour.
- That's it - enjoy!