We have a long-running discussion about whether this easy beef stroganoff should be served over mashed potatoes (my husband grew up eating it this way) or over buttered noodles (the way I grew up eating it) at our house.
I admit that it’s good both ways, and this recipe makes it ridiculously easy to make. It takes only four ingredients (in addition to either the mashed potatoes or buttered noodles) and relies on Lipton® Onion Soup mix for the flavoring. The original recipe uses sour cream but you can substitute Greek yogurt for a slightly healthier version of the recipe.
Since this recipe makes it so easy to make, cook some up and try beef stroganoff both ways. Then, let us know which way is right!
Easy Beef Stroganoff
- 2 lbs. boneless round or sirloin steak, cut into cubes
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
- 1 lb. mushrooms, stems removed & quartered or halved
- 1/2 - 1 cup sour cream, start with 1/2 cup and add more to taste if desired
- Brown steak cubes over low heat.
- Add the mushrooms and soup mix, bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer.
- Simmer covered until the beef is tender (about 40 minutes) stirring occasionally.
- Simmer uncovered until broth reaches desired consistency.
- Add the sour cream, mix well, and heat through (about 5 minutes).
- Serve over either mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.